Massage has the following benefits:
- increases circulation;
- enhances the immune system;
- promotes nervous system functioning;
- reduces blood pressure;
- relieves pain and muscle tension;
- improves mood, intellectual reasoning and job performance;
- positive effect on conditions such as fibromyalgia, arthritis, diabetes and migraine headaches.
Depending on the techniques used, massage can:
- stimulate the nervous system to help reduce muscle atrophy;
- increase muscle tone;
- stimulate the functions of the skin or an organ deep inside the body;
- sedate the nervous system to help ease muscle tension, spasticity, stress-related symptoms and headaches;
- boost the functioning of the immune system and maintains health when done regularly;
- stimulate sluggish circulation or slow down the circulation of someone who has just run a marathon when using friction massage techniques;
- allow better range of motion and support the connective tissue and muscles in becoming strong and healthy when doing simple joint movements and joint stretching.